Entrance to the Barn Dojo....

Monday, December 05, 2011

Off with their heads



"Off with their heads!" the Queen of Hearts in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, by L. Carroll.



Sometimes it strikes me as odd how much time people spend practicing punching in Goju-ryu. I suppose it happens because we need to train things that all levels can train together. This is not to suggest that learning how to punch correctly is not important. Of course it is. But when you look at the totality of techniques in the Goju-ryu classical subjects punches seem to make up a rather small percentage. Then why is there such an emphasis on punching, not just in doing group basics together but also in doing ippon kumite and in a good deal of the bunkai that one sees being done in most schools? Perhaps it satisfies some urge we have to punch things. Or perhaps it simply fits our expectations of a karate school--indeed, martial arts in general. Or perhaps punching seemed less violent--as ironic as that may sound--when early pioneers tried to popularize karate with the general public. I must admit that I've often thought that many of the "real" techniques in the Goju-ryu classical kata have seemed to me at times too violent or dangerous to actually practice with a partner. For example, the first technique above from the opening sequence of Seipai (though it is demonstrated in mirror image) is difficult to actually practice as a neck break, so it is taught, and in fact the way most people understand it, is as an attack to the opponent's ribs with the elbow. Or the second technique from the middle of Kururunfa--another twist-your-head-off technique. Or the last technique in Sanseiru--now there's a bunkai you won't find in most schools. Or the "arm break" which isn't really an arm break in Seipai.

You can find these techniques in most of the Goju-ryu kata. And if not techniques which are intended to twist the head off, at least techniques to attack the head or neck. So what's with all the chest punches and all the work devoted to hitting the makiwara? Perhaps we should be working the nigiri-game (gripping jars) far more or twisting bundles of bamboo to develop the grip strength to twist someone's head off. And, of course, we should be doing all sorts of exercises to build up strength in our own neck muscles so we might be able to actually train some of these. Or is that all just too violent to consider?




































8 comments:

  1. On Kata Volume .... Americans have fallen into a false sense of understanding in that the belief toward "volume" vs. "quality" is necessary.

    I believe this came about due to the military's short duration (tour of duty) on Okinawa resulting in a lack of understanding of kata which today many are striving diligently to correct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious about the "neck breaking" technique in sanseru im not seeing that interpretation? Nice article by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that's a curious one, isn't it? Or should I say, a secret technique. At least it's one I'm not willing to give away on an Internet blog. What I will say, however, is that if you follow all of the principles of kata analysis as they are laid out in many of these posts, you should be able to see it for yourself. Or, if you have a school, I'll come and do a seminar on all this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i see it, I was up all night thinking about it and me and my dojo brother worked it out! Reading other post (yours) very insightful!

      Delete
  4. Abe, could you drop me an email or send me a video link to explain to me or show me what you've worked out. Just curious. I know I didn't give you a lot to go on. And by the way, where do you train? What lineage/school (helps me to visualize how you do kata)? Where are you?
    All the best,
    Giles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply.. I am not that savy with the computer other then what I am doing right now. As far as the application you gave me enough by just mentioning it was a "neck breaker." I spent half the night drilingl that now we both have a "secret" lol! We both have something to be "curious" about at least now im not alone lol. I don't know why martial artist keep applications a secret (actually I do) "whats in the dark shall come to the light" As far where I come from. My teacher is Ric Pascetta Americqn goju karate do International (AGKAI) and his teacher was Peter Urban. I reside in New Jersey and that is no secret. lol Nice article by the way!

      Delete
    2. Well, that about sums it up, doesn't it?! What's with the game playing??? ("Now we both have a secret" and "we both have something to be curious about..." I asked because I was interested in real dialogue...but I'm not anymore. Not to be indelicate, but aren't both of those teachers dead? Anyway, good luck.
      Giles

      Delete
    3. Lets not be sensitive i was only playing with you (where is your since of humor), my intent was not to offend. Yes both are Dead in the physical but both (especially Ric Pascetta ) are alive today spiritually. My teacher left many senior students I being one of them and together we keep their teachings going!

      Delete